ABOUT MAIDA GYM
Maida Gymnasium, originally known as the Command Central Gymnasium, was purpose built in 1892 as an army drill hall/gymnasium by Martin Wells & Co, forming part of the larger Maida Barracks in Montgomery lines. The building was constructed as part of a national programme following a War Office decision that the physical aspect of a soldiers education was to be improved through gymnastics, extending activity beyond just drill and weapon training.
The building was modelled on Fox’s Gymnasium, located in North Camp along Queen’s Avenue, and is a large red brick, gable ended structure. The structure has round arched, prominent brick buttresses and simple square pilasters defining the bays on exposed west flank.
Internally it features an impressive clear span steel/cast iron trussed rafter roof. There was originally a shooting gallery on the east side of the building but this has since been converted into changing rooms. This building has been used for royal visits and civic functions such as the ball given by the Mayor of Aldershot for the visiting officers during the 1948 Olympic pentathlon.
At Maida, we have team of highly skilled professional trainers. All our trainers have either fought, or trained professional athletes and are experts in their fields. Find out more about them below.